Sunday, March 28, 2010

TOP SECRET

What am I working on these days? Oh, you weren’t wondering? Well, just so you know, I can’t really talk to you about it. It’s a secret. What am furtively scribbling on this little notepad I keep in my back pocket? I could tell you, but I don’t want to disorient you with my paradigm blasting ideas quite yet. What’s that? You didn’t even ask? Well, not technically, but I can tell you’re curious. I know that when I start talking about my writing, and your face gets strained, it’s from the effort it takes not to lose yourself in the ass-rocking chord progression of my ideas as I run them by you, one by one, over and over again.

What’s this scrap book doing on the table? Oh, you didn’t notice it? Well, I’ll tantalize you with a few choice details. It’s got some character sketches in it, a few back-burner metaphors I’m working with, and a photograph of a wire fence I find particularly inspiring. Mind blown yet? No? You do a good job of disguising it.

You see, I can’t talk about my novel when it’s still in the idea stage, okay? I don’t want you to molest my genius with your grubby fingers of inquiry. It needs to germinate in a sound proofed and air locked chamber while I watch shit on Hulu, before it can fully bloom into the self conscious, underdeveloped first draft I slam dunk onto your desk and then force you to read.

So, don’t ask me what I’m working on. Because it’s TOP SECRET. Unless you really want to know?

1 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

I kinda do.

May 4, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home