Friday, July 09, 2010

Why Doesn't My Brother Appreciate My Cat?

There's something kind of upsetting going on between three members of my immediate family: me, my brother, and my cat. Even though we're supposed to be "related", and to "care about each other", my brother doesn't act like that at all, at least not when it comes to my cat. And it's not like I haven't been trying. I go out of my way to send him a cute jpeg of my adorable kitty sleeping on the sofa at least once a day. Whenever my cat does something truly amazing, like rubs his face against my computer screen in this twisty way where his face practically turns upside down and it is literally the platonic image of cuteness, I call or text my brother right away to fill him in on the news. And what do I get in return for this open, heartfelt generosity? Stone cold diddly squat. Or worse: a one-line email, reading coldly: "Please remove me from this email chain." Today he de-sibling'ed me on Facebook, citing "too many wall postings of your stupid fucking cat" as his vague excuse. I'm confused by this logic because, when it comes to members of our family, especially four-legged furry ones with sleepy green eyes, there's no such thing as "too much." Apparently the bonds of family mean nothing to my brother. Well, I'll teach him. Guess who's going on a private picnic today? Me and my cat, that's who. We'll set out a third plate for my brother, who won't be there, because he's not invited. Maybe an old crow will come and pick at it. Who cares!! That's our attitude. And by the way at the picnic my cat is going to be wearing a mini-pair of sunglasses. Which you, my brother, will NOT being receiving any pictures of!! Except MAYBE one!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous alex said...

Shades of Jean Teasdale

July 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home